We help organizations practice Honest Security
Building software that secures and manages digital assets
While demonstrating empathy, respect, and care for what is most important – people
Empowering them to do the best work of their lives.
Kolide is a VC-backed remote-first startup building device management and security software for fast-growing companies that value Honest Security. With over 390 customers and a novel approach to solving security and compliance concerns, Kolide is poised to grow quickly over the next few years. To prepare, we are looking to responsibly develop our organization to help us meet our lofty goals while increasing our organization’s diverse set of skills and perspectives.
About The Job
We’re launching into new territory here. This is a brand-new role at Kolide and sits at the intersection of customer support, product experience, and big dreams. Kolide’s customers are primarily IT teams at engineering-heavy, mid-market sized, SaaS companies. As the Sr Solutions Engineer, you will spend the majority of your time talking with customers, thinking about customers, and helping customers solve complex problems. We see this role as a natural extension of a product that regularly has people dreaming out loud: “How can I leverage Kolide to do [THIS] and make my worklife so much easier?”
You’ll need to quickly gain an expert level of mastery of the Kolide product. After that, about 40% of your time will be helping customers problem-solve, 30% building out how-tos and tutorials, 20% helping new customers trialing Kolide maximize value quickly, and 10% on ideas that we don’t even know about yet.
Some recent examples of problems you would have partnered with customers on are:
- “One of our users just received a notification from Kolide that a previously created SSH key on her Windows device is unencrypted. How can she add encryption without needing to make a new one?”
- “If I wanted to use Kolide to make Okta aware of the current state of a device, and use that to restrict access to our most important systems, how could I do that?”
- “I’m trying to get a returning employee set back up with Kolide. I’ve just reactivated their Slack account, but they are not showing up. What do I do next?”
- “My team is working toward SOC2 this year. What’s the difference between Kolide and an MDM, what kind of overlap is there, and do I need both tools to complete the audit?”
Since you’ll be both the resident product expert for our customers and our resident customer expert for our product, you’ll need to be comfortable in communicating needs in both directions verbally and in writing. These communication skills will come in handy later this year as we plan to upgrade our help center and video tutorial offerings and you should expect to be highly involved in the development and execution of both.
As Kolide’s first Sr Solutions Engineer, you’ll have to be pretty technical yourself. This role requires a wide range of skills because, being the Support Team point of contact for customers, you will be called on to answer questions that range from the basic (billing, bugs, pointing customers to relevant paperwork) to the advanced (investigating logs for common issues, polishing SQL for use in Kolide’s Live Query tool).
Handling this much daily variety means that you’re already on a generalist customer service career path that has included roles like: technical customer support; pre-sales at a technical B2B company; customer implementation/onboarding roles; or maybe you have been exactly this type of IT admin and those problem statements above sounded way too familiar. Since much of our work involves taking complex security and endpoint concepts and distilling them down into words and visuals that end users understand, we also wouldn’t be surprised if you have Geek Squad, Genius Bar, or another similar experience in your background.
This role requires a minimum of 4 - 5 years of experience in customer-facing, product specialist type roles. Ideally, this experience has been at a B2B remote SaaS company.
A successful person in this role will also:
- Be a dedicated problem solver with a keen eye for detail
- Love customers and be willing to learn to love Kolide’s product and vision of Honest Security
- Have an engaging writing style
- Be able to maintain quick response times and effectively triage incoming tickets
- Have an affinity for endpoint security and/or IT
Additional experience in the following would be a plus:
- Being a Slack workspace admin/owner, especially if you have built Slack automations and workflows
- Being an MDM admin - we regularly receive questions about Microsoft Intune, Kandji, and JAMF
- Being an Okta admin, specifically Okta Verify
- Writing SQL, or leveraging APIs and webhooks
- SOC 2, ISO 27001, or similar certifications that our customers regularly pursue
- Being a Kolide customer yourself!
We are a US based remote-first company. You can work anywhere you want in the US as long as your working hours maintain a 3 hour overlap with the US eastern time-zone.
🏖️ Open, unlimited vacation policy (plus 10 paid company holidays)
🕑 Flexible working hours
💰 Fully remote culture (with $2k stipend)
🏥 Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage (100% of monthly premiums covered, plus $500 towards deductibles)
👪 12-weeks parental leave
🚴🏽♂️ Health and Wellness reimbursement
✈️️ Conference and Education reimbursement
🏦 401k Retirement Plan
📱 Phone and internet stipend
☀️ Summer Fridays from Memorial Day to Labor Day
🌼 Life insurance and long term disability
How To Apply
Please apply on this website.
Submit your resume through the link provided as well as a writing sample. Cover letters are optional. The best applications include specific examples of things you’ve done in the past that translate well to the type of work you’ll do at Kolide.
If your application is well received, we’ll invite you to the interview stage, which will include (but is not limited to) a preliminary call, and 1-2 interviews with your future colleagues, and a final interview with the CEO. If you are applying for a technical role, we may have you complete a take home exercise.
The entire process may take up to three weeks, depending on team availability. We appreciate you considering Kolide and are excited to read your application. If you have questions or concerns, please reach out to email@example.com.